Translate

Saturday, January 22, 2011

You're invited!


I love encouraging people to dive into the creativity pool. Sometimes all that is needed is the invitation. Consider yourself invited.

I carry my paper and paints everywhere I go and people get curious as to what I am doing - whether in a restaurant, a cafe, an airport, a plane. After showing them what I am working on, I will often slide a piece of paper in their direction and hand them a pen or brush. I love the look on their faces.

Well, kids of course - they light up!

Adults looks shocked and nervous.

"I can't draw." I smile at the response.

I gently invite them to give it a try - many times offering to make it a collaboration. After all, a party needs at least two people to really get going.

So, consider yourself invited. Whether it is the dusty piano that hasn't been plunked on for years, or the camera waiting to be taken on a safari through a city, or the empty sheets of watercolor paper aching to be splashed upon, or that fancy journal someone gave you that has seemed to precious to make a mark in... consider the invitation to plunk, play, sketch, write, draw, paint, and dream.

And then...

invite a friend or two.

Enjoy the pARTy. : )

9 comments:

adibah said...

i will start the journal. such an inspiring post! thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for all of your inspiration!You have made me a braver person.I finished a rough draft chapter two! I am on a roll now.The words are just flowing!

Unknown said...

Thank you for helping me follow my dreams with your inspiration.Because dreaming is believing.And dreams make wishes come true. It is magic!

Relyn Lawson said...

I love your wide open invitation. I am a teacher and I keep Dot and Ish on the top my bookshelf at school. They remind me to jump in, to try something. And to always be the teacher who smiles and says, "Yes, you can."

Thank you for that.

Christina Zagarino said...

What a great post! Thank you, Peter!

Jennifer De Luca said...

Hi Peter, I am a grade 1 teacher and last week I started The Dot with my class, they love the story!! We are making our mark in a variety of ways. We began by creating beatiful paintings of dots just like Vashti did, and have many other lessons planed for next week. Thank you for such an inspiring story, we hope to take pictures of our jouney to send to you.

Mia Charro said...

thank you very much for the inspiration!! Lovely post :)

Holly Abston said...

I came to find you after buying "Someday" for my little ones. I love your loose, beautiful illustrations. I love your invitation here. It reminds me of this quote from Picasso "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up"

Ellen said...

You are an inspriration to the kid in all of us- no matter our age. Thank you for your wonderfule books!